County of Sonoma, California
Site Search

You are here:

Legal Aid of Sonoma County

Not affiliated with Sonoma County Public Law Library. This information provided as a community service.

(707) 542-1290 Work
(707) 542-0177 Fax
Office Hours:
Mondays — Thursdays, 9:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. / 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
144 South E Street, Suite 100 (Nearest cross street is Sonoma Avenue)
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Whom Does Legal Aid Help?

  • You must live in Sonoma County or have a case/legal matter in Sonoma County.
  • If you need help with a housing/eviction problem, you must be low-income.
  • All clients must bring us proof of their income, whatever it is.
  • Legal Aid´s services are available in English and Spanish.

What Can Legal Aid Help With?

Domestic Violence/Civil Harassment Restraining Orders

If you are feeling afraid of someone you know, live with, have a relationship with, or are related to, we can help you seek a Restraining Order. We will help you prepare all the legal documents you need, assist you to write your story for the judge, and help you prepare for your hearing. All of these services are confidential and private. This service is for people of all income levels.

Restraining Order services are available Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. We prefer you to come to our office between 9:15 a.m. and 11:30 a. m. to be screened and given an appointment, or call (707) 542-1290 for a screening and appointment. If there is urgency, we suggest you come in person. You may also visit us between 1:15 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. to make an appointment.

Guardianship Services

If you are caring for, or want to care for a child that is not yours (grandchild, neighbor, a friend´s child), a guardianship can give you custody of that child as well as access to financial and medical resources for the child.

Guardianship services are offered by appointment. You can make an appointment by calling (707) 542-1290 and leaving a message or by visiting our offices Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 9:15 a.m. to 11:30 a. m. or 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m..

Eviction/Housing Cases

If you are being evicted or have questions about your rental housing, we can assist you with information and legal papers to respond to your eviction. We also assist landlords who are having difficulty with their tenants or need to file eviction papers. To receive eviction/housing services you must be low income. (Please see the income guidelines on the back of this page to see if you are low income.

Eviction Services are available by appointment or on a walk in basis, depending upon staff availability, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, from 9:15 a.m. to 11:30 a. m. or 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m..

Important: If you receive eviction papers, come to see us Immediately. If you wait too long, we may not be able to assist you!!

Pro Bono Services

Under certain circumstances, Legal Aid may be able to refer you to an attorney who can assist you in court, or with other matters under its Pro Bono program. There is no charge for this service.

Important: To receive Pro Bono referral services you must be low income and meet other requirements. Currently there is high demand for these services and only a few cases are eligible for this program. Your case may not qualify for referral to an attorney even if you meet the income requirements.

What is Proof of Income?

All Clients must bring proof of their income, because Legal Aid needs to tell its funders whom we are serving. Please bring one of the following things to show us what your income is.

Note: If you do not bring this documentation you may not be seen.

  • If you work: A recent pay stub.
  • If you get food stamps, SonomaWorks, or G.A.: Your benefits card or letter saying you get benefits.
  • If you get SSI or Social Security: The letter describing your monthly benefit amount.
  • If someone else supports you: A letter from them indicating they are supporting you.
  • If you are staying in a shelter, a letter from the shelter stating that you are using their services.
  • Or a document that shows what your resources are (tax return, bank statement, etc.).

Other important documents to bring with you!

  • Police reports
  • Any court papers from the last Two years and the most current court order in your case.
  • Address and contact information of the person you are opposing in your case.

Low Income Guidelines for Eviction Services

Remember: These restrictions only apply to eviction cases!

Legal Aid can help you if you receive public benefits:

  • Food Stamps
  • SSI
  • SonomaWorks
  • General Assistance
  • Or If your gross yearly income is not greater than:
    One person:
    Up to $31,275
    Two people:
    Up to $35, 775
    Three people:
    Up to $40,237
    Four people:
    Up to $44,700
    Five people:
    Up to $48,262
    Six people:
    Up to $51,862
    Seven people:
    Up to $55,425
    Eight people:
    Up to $58,987